A Thai Easter

Although my family isn't religious, we still dye and hunt for eggs every Easter. In that spirit, they sent me an egg dyeing kit to use with Nont (my host cousin).

A day or two before Easter Sunday I realized that the time was coming around, I hadn't told anyone yet, and all the eggs in Thailand are brown. Luckily, we found some duck eggs after checking two different supermarkets, and the egg dyeing ended up going swimmingly. In the process of having to explain all this, I ended up discovering the symbolism behind the eggs (new life or something).

Indira was also staying with our family at that point, and she wanted to go to a church service, just to see what it is like in Thailand. The congregation appeared to be mostly Filipino, and we arrived just as they were lining up for what I thought was communion. In the end, it turned out that the priest was handing out plain boiled eggs and bottles of "Holy Water." After that, the service was over, so we left. I was thirsty, so I drank the water. My pictures from that morning are in Snapchat Memories, so they might surface someday, but for now we can just imagine the church (for the non-Snapchatters out there, Memories is a good way to save storage space on your phone if using Snapchat as your main camera app, but not the easiest place to retrieve pictures from).

Here's some of the pictures from dyeing eggs and the subsequent egg hunt:









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The beginning of exchange

Two New Years

The Weeknd